Saturday, August 15, 2009

Finding Time, Making Time

Time is an absolutely fascinating subject to me. I can remember so long ago (can it really be that long?!?) driving poor Mr. Edwards, my wonderful high school science teacher, to distraction with my questions when we studied time. He patiently (for a while, at least) tried to help me make sense of it. I'm still trying.

I'm intrigued by both perspectives of time, the one you study through physics and the one where we are all slaves to the clock. I love physics and wish I were smarter when I try to understand the subject -- in books or even on The Discovery Channel.

Clock time is almost as big a challenge. Sometimes, it seems that whole days get away from me. I have such good intentions when I wake up every morning! Before my feet hit the floor, my mind spins with plans and possibilities. It's after I stand up that things get complicated.

My knees, which I'm told need to be replaced, ache and the phone rings and the kitties want to be played with. I need to eat something but first I have to take this pill so I can't eat and then I have to take those pills so I have to eat. Laundry has to be done and food needs to be bought and prepared.

Every morning, my intention is to get upstairs and into my studio as quickly as possible. Fabrics and beads and buttons and threads call out to me to come and play. And, almost every afternoon, I wonder where the day went and why I haven't made it up there yet.

The study of time management has been ongoing and intense for almost as long as there have been clocks. Hundreds of books (just look in my bookcases) have been written by smart people who all think they've found the answer. And, I've read a lot of those books. So, why can't I get anything done?

My husband has kindly (and cautiously) suggested that I tend to put things off. I know he's right. It ticks me off but I still know. I'm working on the problem. I have such admiration for people who are energetic and disciplined and whose accomplishments are so impressive that they leave me breathless. They tick me off, too, but I still admire them.

So, I'm very open to suggestions. If you've found the secret, please share it with me. And, hurry.

2 comments:

  1. Let me know when you solve this age old problem, you know how time flies in all directions. We kind of have to just do what we can, when we can and be happy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, friend, like me, you are a proscrastinator...enjoying the anticipation of events, not always the event itself. And, too, we both are short of energy these days, which doesn't help the situation. Maybe preparing for our coming retreat will give us a "boost." you take care, pat

    ReplyDelete